Skip to main content

Reply to "Ever been on the recieving end ?"

Yeah, I've seen the case where the truly athletic beast dubiously shows up through some strange set of circumstances. Football is a great example. In fact, I've been a member of the "conspiracy of the complacent"...kind of embarrassed about it, but more than anything glad we stole the stud running back. But usually this isn't a case where the "pretty-OK-player" actually got cut from the prior school. I'm more intrigued with the latter.

The INLIMBO case is a great example. No reflection on the boy (taking you at face value, here), but the fact is that he was actually cut. That means that his talent level, while probably dazzling, was not enough to over come all the the other excuses coach made for letting him go.

So that's what get's brought to the new school. And that's the basis of why I'm so curious...I've seen how rabid parents of disappointed kids can get. How would they choke down this news?

I also know from first hand experience how the core starters feel about the talent at the end of the bench - especially when they aren't personal friends. My kid would develop a real disrespect and resentment for coach if he brought in a "cut" kid from somewhere, until that kid proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that he really was starter material who would help them win.

P.S. We're in a 5A district, so I guess I'm caught thinking that's how the world is. I guess I can see the smaller school situation, where this would make sense.
Last edited by wraggArm