Skip to main content

Reply to "Evoshield Canes"

Originally Posted by CoachJackE:

Does anyone know how the Canes teams are selected? I can see that the majority of their rosters are composed of players form approximately 14 states. I assume the best of the best have some sort of tryout. I originally assumed that those teams playing in Jupiter were made up of kids from the same summer/fall travel teams or locale.

I think I can speak as to how our teams are selected.  

Our EvoShield Canes teams are considered our "national" teams.  These are the "best of the best" you mention.  Virtually none of those players attend a tryout, unless it is at a younger age, like joemktg son.  The vast majority of those players contact us about joining our roster.  These are mostly kids we have seen in Area Code, Team USA, East Coast Pro or PG Jr National/National events.  These kids project to be selected in the MLB Amateur Draft and, for the most part, have already verbally committed to a college.  Putting a noncommitted player on this roster is doing a disservice to the player.

We also have "regional" teams, like the North and South.  Many of those players are found through word of mouth referrals from high school and college coaches.  The rest of them are found through our tryouts.  While we select those players from within a certain region, we fully expect them to compete nationally...and they do.  We routinely get players on those "regional" teams committed to ACC/SEC schools.  As a matter of fact, our "regional" teams had more kids verballing to National Champion, UVA, than our "national" teams.  

Our Jupiter rosters for EvoShield Canes and Team EvoShield are comprised of mostly kids from within our program, with Team Evo being most of our Underclass players. In looking at our EvoCanes Jupiter roster, we added 2 arms that were not with us in the summer and all but 5 players were with us during the summer.  As for Team Evo, we added 4 players in the fall that were on that roster.  Other than that, they all played for us in the summer and/or previous year.  Typically, this is done because a pitcher has been shut down due to approaching an innings limit for the year or an "advisor" shutting down a player.

Many of our competition claim that if you are on a regional team, there is no value to the Canes.  With over 100 EvoCanes signing Division I scholarships per year, this is hardly the case.  I will put our "regional" teams against ANY national team out there...ANY national team.