Skip to main content

Reply to "Excessive pitching......"

Originally Posted by Cheesy Curve:

I gave the example of that parent because I think it is more that for some reason they trust the head coach and he has them convinced that 160 pitches in one game is not a bad thing that early in the season.

#3 is s possibility, but I know at least he once parent, at least says they have talked to the coach.

#2 No

#1  I think goes with the point I was trying to make,  I don't know that I would totally call it ignorance but the kids/parents/coaches from this school are very much about winning and coach has convinced them that if the kids are healthy and have plenty of rest between starts there is no issue.

It’s interesting that you believe no parent believes there might be some kind of reprisal if they question the coach, especially in an environment where winning is everything. Even on our team which is really not competitive this year, I’ve heard “grumblings” about what might happen if they spoke to the coach about their child’s role.

Another curious question. What does the coach feel is adequate rest, and does it only apply to starts? I have come across coaches who are very careful about rest between starts, but often throw a starter in a relief role. An example would be for a pitcher to start on Monday and go for 90 pitches, then throw a few innings on Thursday, and not start again until the next Monday. On the face of it he’s had 7 days between starts, but the reality is very different. Because of that, for a long time now one of the reports I kick out for everyone to get a look at is the attached.