Skip to main content

Reply to "Excused or UnExcused for jobs"

BB-2124 posted:

While I didn't come here for justification on decisions, I do appreciate the support. Thank you.

cabbagedad
I'm not sure how to ask this one but How do you keep the same set of rules for starter vs non-starters? Since non-starters sometimes rarely even get an at bat or chance to pinch run depending on the game situation. If non-starter misses an event unexcused and you apply the same set of rules (say a missed game) the non starter would not see the field for practically half the season? Maybe I'm not following what you meant by that. Or maybe my situation might be different as we don't have a separate JV team. We have JV level players that are playing varsity due to numbers and talent available and having some success somewhat surprisingly.

The players are all committing to the same team/program regardless of their skill set or current standing on the depth chart.  There should be collective team objectives as well as individual goals.  The team cannot reach anything close to its potential if several individuals are not required to show up every day.  You can't run drills and practices where everyone becomes very familiar with each other, taking reps with all possible combinations of position assignments.  You won't have a team environment where everyone is helping push each other.  And, the individuals who are "not starters" will not be working as often and as hard to get better, to provide depth, to provide competition to further drive the starters, etc.  You won't feel as comfortable putting the "non-starters" in game situations (even mop-up) where they can continue to improve toward their individual goals and and become better prepared for their opportunities, whether this year or next.  Often, the weaker players are the ones who not only need to improve the most but will show the biggest gains if committed, thus making the team that much stronger.  Injuries happen, failure happens, ineligibles happen, graduation happens.  Build the whole team/program.  The job of the coaching staff is as much to develop the players (all of them) as it is pencil in the best 9.

I could see expecting more out of your team leaders but that applies to those things beyond the rules, not the rules themselves.  Honestly, i can't imagine anything other than one set of rules.  Then, as special circumstances arise, consider whether exception should be allowed.  We took a small, very weak program over about ten years ago.  It took a little over a year to turn it around.  Setting high expectations, demanding commitment, having solid, consistent rules in place and providing the tools and support to enable them to reach their goals is what got them to a MUCH better place.  

Also, if you are having success as you say you are, surely there must be game situations where you can insert non-starters.  They should be fighting to earn those opportunities and they should be rewarded with them when the game situation and their efforts dictate.  Everyone should have the goal to contribute at some point, sooner or later, and they should be encouraged to reach that goal through hard work and commitment.

Last edited by cabbagedad