Skip to main content

Reply to "Excused or UnExcused for jobs"

cabbagedad posted:
JCG posted:

What do you guys think about a college player missing a game for the wedding of a close relative?  This came up in a  hypothetical discussion about our son and his cousin's wedding. I think it would tear him up if he had to make that choice so I hope he doesn't have to. I told the cousin's parents to choose a Sunday if they can.  Our son's conference doesn't play league games on Sunday.  I can see him maybe missing a non-conference game.

That's a tough one, JCG... I feel like immediate family, of course, is a no-brainer but for a cousin, the general expectation would be not to miss unless there was a compelling story of how close the relationship is.  Of course, as we get older and head into the workforce, college and family life, it becomes impossible to make everyone's weddings, etc., particularly as families scatter geographically.  Finance and commitments come into play often.  

My wife and I both come from large families and mine in particular is really spread all over the country.  There is a general understanding that attendance isn't expected, even though we are all close and stay in touch.

Thanks for the reply Cabbage.  We don't have a large family and the cousins are pretty close so I hope he can make it.  I have told the bride's parents not to expect her cousin if they schedule a Saturday during baseball season.  That's all I can do.