Skip to main content

Reply to "Exit Velo off tee"

ABSORBER posted:
Wechson posted:

So my RHP 2021 has always been a combo PO/DH.  Has done some work at 1B but hasn’t devoted too much time to it to focus on mechanics for pitching. But he can hit for contact and he can rake. He’s a big, athletic kid: 6’3, 210.  At Headfirst last year he had a lot of great measurables  for just general athleticism.   He had never had his exit velo tested and it was an 87 which he felt was pretty strong.  Fast forward to yesterday, we go to Dicks Sporting Goods and the Hittrax cage to sample a new bat.  With both of them he was averaging around 92-93 and got up to 95.  The guy at Dicks asked me if he was in college given the numbers.  All of which has me thinking... does this metric really matter? Is it accurate? Or should he be focusing a bit more on hitting so he can give himself more potential options for final recruitment push this summer (which is focused on HA schools). Would be curious to hear groups thoughts. 

If he were not hitting mid-nineties then I'd say he's not working very hard. Any kid who is 6'-3" and 210 lbs. SHOULD be hitting those numbers. There's a lot more to determining whether he's a D1 prospect; exit velocity (with wood) is just one metric.

I've stated on this forum before my opinion on large players and where they should be as far as exit velocity. I've spent a lot of time perusing PG showcase stats (and PBR) and know without a doubt the vast majority of kids who hit 90+ exit velocity with a wood bat off the tee are 6' + and 200 lbs. +. They don't have to have any other talent or work ethic. Size matters.

If I see a kid who weights less than 185 and is 6' or shorter hitting mid nineties then I'm impressed. That's an indication he has some power and/or bat speed coupled with the ability to square up a baseball off a tee. I also see plenty of large kids who do not hit those metrics. To me, that's an indication he doesn't square up the ball when it counts--as in a showcase. Some kids just need to practice at hitting off a tee in a pressure situation. If you have the size there is no reason why you shouldn't be in the 90's except for your (in)ability to square up the ball.

Thx for input.  Don't disagree with any of this, would only emphasize that my son is a VERY hard worker.  Does something almost daily to train and improve, so he doesn't take his natural size for granted.  My general question was more about how to focus attention in the next few months.  He's spent almost all of the past 6 months on velo based training and pitching mechanics, as he still has work to do there to get to consistent D1 velo.  But perhaps *because* size matters, and that's more clearly measurable with his hitting, he should not shy away from showcasing that a bit more prominently.