Skip to main content

Reply to "Exit Velo off tee"

PitchingFan posted:
ABSORBER posted:

My advice would be to figure out what your son want's to do. I doubt there are too many PO/DH's in college so you'll need to have your son decide where to concentrate his focus.

Most two-way players are primary position players who also happen to pitch (and pitch really well). If they are a position player at the D1 level then it generally means someone thinks they can also hit.

So if your son wants to hit in college he'll need to change himself to  a 1B/RHP (or a 1B/LHP). Then he'll have to be a decent fielder who can really mash. So the exit velocity is there but he also needs to perform in games (both as a fielder and as a hitter).

I would only do this if he really wants to be a position player. Your son is at the age where he needs to be one or the other; travel teams are going to ask him to either be a primary position player or a PO. Of course if he's a position player who is also a really good pitcher then that travel team will be more than willing to ask him to play for them.

College coaches are always looking for pitching so if they see you son pitching and they like what they see then they will offer. Of course they may say "we want him as a PO" and that will be an indication to you where they see his future.

I would disagree.  There are a lot of guys in P5's that are good hitters and pitchers.  Many of them do not play positions but only DH the days they are not starting and don't hit the days they are pitching.  A lot more than you would think.  I think the number is a lot lower in the top conferences that pitch and play a position.  There are guys who play a position and pitch but fewer that are primary pitchers that play a position.  Not enough time in the day to work on pitching, hitting, and playing a position.  Stretching it to pitch and hit.  The guys that play a position and pitch normally are just closers who throw it hard but don't work on pitching except to throw bullpens.

Hmm. Not sure I see where you disagree. I'm saying exactly that. There are very few pitchers who are ever in the lineup. I'm not saying they can't hit; I'm saying they are not in the lineup.  You would have to show me an example of PO's who are regularly in a P5 lineup. I think your last three sentences are exactly why my recommendation to the OP is that his son figure out what he wants to do--and that's either play a position (1B) or be a PO.