Skip to main content

Reply to "exit velos at showcases"

roothog66 posted:
Batty67 posted:
roothog66 posted:
wsoxfanatic posted:

Throwing the ball on a downward plane, and skipping to the target can get you increased speed.  Some are very good at being "showcase players" but don't necessarily bring the same skills to the field.

Explain a little further.

Is this about pop-times for catchers? I've heard that on artificial turf, or an extremely well-kept grass IF, a one-hopper right on target does not lose much velocity or accuracy. But I'd be skeptical as an approach...

Sort of an old wives tale, like the old idea that an infielder skipping it on the turf on a throw to first allows the ball to pick up speed. That idea is actually impossible by the laws of physics. What happens is basically a visual trick. Your eye, following the ball expects it to slow more than it does and it simply appears to pick up speed. In reality, you lose velocity this way. No amount of spin or skip can overcome the physics involved with a moving body experiencing resistance. 

I agree. But in general, a HC would rather see a rocket one-hopper right on target compared to a poorly located bullet throw in the air.