Skip to main content

Reply to "exit velos at showcases"

Dominik85 posted:
2020dad posted:
PGStaff posted:

2020Dad,

Just so you know... There are first round picks every year that we have recorded below 90mph exit velocity.  Two of our top 5 ranked position players have recorded below 90 max exit velocity.  

We tend to get a higher level player at our events.  The average exit velocity we have recorded for the 2017 class is right between 80-81 mph.

Only bringing this up because it appears your son is already way above average. In fact, the average for 2020 class is 75 mph.  Obviously baseball scholarships and draft positions are determined by much more than bat speed and exit velocities.  But anywhere around 90 mph is good enough for just about anything to happen, depending on what else is there.

Interesting, were those middle Infielders mostly?  My son I think is shooting for the dubious distinction of being the only 100mph+ guy to not be recruited!  Keep hoping his growth stops and his balance improves...  maybe this will be the year. Or maybe he will continue to be a so so hitter with a ton of 'potential'.  So PG if you're still checking this thread a question for you. In your experience I am sure you see 90+ pitchers who are wild with poor secondary pitches picked up by someone believing they can develop them. Do you see the same with hitters?  So in other words will a school take a flyer on a kid with a 100mph EV?

I don't think that any guy with a 100 ev would not get recruited. Ev probably gets a little overrated by some and hit tool, defense and for some positions even speed might come before ev but a 100  mph guy is so athletic that he probably excells at the other stuff too. 

And regarding using a big windup and long swing: that might add 3 to 4 mph but you dont hit well over 90 with any swing if you are not athletic. Exit velocity is a measure of raw athleticism and not skill.

And if you hit 100 you probably get recruited even without good other tools since that points to huge power. A scout might prefer 86 mph  ev with good defense and hit tool over 91 without but at 100 the raw power is so great that many might take a chance even if the other skills are not there yet, just like a guy that throws 95 will get many chances to prove he can't pitch.

In the end exit velo is just one tool (raw power) but it is somewhat a good indicator not just because it shows power but also because it correlates with other athletic tools like throwing velo in many cases (although not in all cases, for example I have hit upper 80s exit velo with the bat but only like mid 60s with the arm, I just can't throw).

DOM -this is good info , I know not everyone sees it the same way, but Tools is what they look for, College ready or Pro ready in some cases, now im just talking from experience on my own son a 2019 that has plus EV 90mph from both sides of the plate, not bragging ,but we worked very hard to get to this point, his violent  swings have always been there since he was 4 yrs old that might sound funny, but people would laugh when he swung so hard off a tee and fall down  or drop to  a knee when he swung and always people told him to slow down, and I would say no swing harder, just like now he throws plus 80mph from the crouch and  upper 80s on the mound and plus 90 from the OF, coaches use to tell him to slow down ,I said don't tell him to slow down I want him to hit the backstop. everyone always knew what was right for my son, yeah right !  now when he swings in games and BP his swings look faster than off a tee.

now does he have talent ? yes but most of all he has the will and MINDSET to succeed in life. now we don't practice to get good readings off a tee, I don't really care, i don't need a radar to know that sound off the bat. He swings the same now as when  he was 4, just tweaked along the way, he has heard -kid you swing like someone stole your lunch money, Kid you swing like your mad, kid you swing to do damage every time, he laughs and tells me why wouldn't you want to smash the ball every time. very blessed and humble kid -and now he's getting some well deserved attention , keep swinging !!

I was a event last year and the main guy from the Bandito's when up and was a guest speaker, what I remember him saying was "if you hit, you don't sit! and that's very true.