Skip to main content

Reply to "Expectations"

Some players have always played a lot. I know my son got more playing time from little league to where he is now. He has virtually played every inning available, on each travel team he participated on as well as his high school teams and his showcase teams through his college experience so far including Collegiate Summer Ball.

About the only time he did not play was on a Junior Olympic Team when he was added as a player to light a fire under the long time player who could be lazy.

Players that have always played, expect to play. And as ILVBB inferred, many have paid their dues over the years by putting in the countless hours of work, day in and day out.

I am sure that my son is not alone; he is not that unique...if he were he would be playing professionally by now.

But, he works his b u t t off to be the best player he can be to put his team in a position to win games. The result of that dedication has been, so far, that coaches want him on the field each and every inning.

We would never have considered a program where he would be sitting, waiting his turn. But baseball is what he does. He attends school so he can play baseball. The players that go to school for an education first and wish to continue to enjoy the game of baseball as an integral, but not primary part of their collegiate experience are more prepared to wait their turn.

Actually, I know that these players are the best prepared for what life throws their way.

Players who live and breathe the game and throw themselves recklessly into the mix expecting glory and grandeur are often left wanting more.
Last edited by floridafan