Skip to main content

Reply to "Expectations"

quote:
But my question is has the idea of paying your dues gone by the wayside? Have kids/parents gotten so caught up in the "need" to play early that they are making less than optimal choices from the educational stanpoint? Aren't there benefits of paying your dues as well?

MTH - There is no question that for some players it is better to pay your dues, learn, and then win a starting position. If I'm not mistaken, most elite D1s are set up that way by design. Most of these teams that are making the CWS seem to have a very structured method with upper classmen starting and under classmen developing and learning from them. I would think being a part of a CWS program is very fulfilling, and rewarding. There is a lot of visability and recognition as well. This can be turned into a risk vs reward discussion.

I totally agree with you that everyone's situation is different and "their reasons are their reasons". Your question is a good one, and I assume folks are doing what they think is best for the long term prospects of their son. Some people will become professional baseball players and some will become Drs, Lawyers & engineers just as the NCAA commercial states. It is a really tough choice to make as there is always some level of uncertainty with any program. The playing time issue alone is probably the single most overlooked issue IMHO when "everyday player" prospects are being recruited, because many of them have rarely sat the bench before. Conceptually they understand that they may be sitting the bench paying their dues, but it is a different matter when they actually have to do it. Perhaps pitchers have it easier because they are used to watching from the dugout or bullpen.