Skip to main content

Reply to "Expectations for mid-sized HS baseball program?"

Southern California puts teams into divisions based on performance, so Division 2 (2nd highest out of 7) means that the baseball team has been pretty successful, and probably made the playoffs but perhaps stopped short of a championship.  I point this out to suggest that you coach probably knows how to win and may very well be high-caliber, even if he's only paid $5k per year (which I believe is typical).  Perhaps he has a full-time job, or perhaps he's a teacher on a full-time salary, or perhaps he runs a travel program and gives lessons to earn a living.

As others have said, development is on you.  And though he probably knows how to win, he may or may not know how to develop a player.  One thing I've seen time and again is that most practice time is devoted to working on game situations - bunt defense, pickoffs, 1st and 3rd defense, cut-offs, etc.  Most higher-level players do extra hitting outside of HS practice and get extra defensive work in on weekends.  My son's coach was pretty good about managing regular and timely bullpens for the pitchers during practice (but he has a pitching background).

I'm surprised he doesn't have organized pre-season workouts.  These have become the norm in Southern California, along with a summer ball game schedule and fall ball game schedule, and in many cases pre-season tournaments.

Regardless, I would get him on a strength program and a good pitching coach now that the season is over.