Skip to main content

Reply to "Expectations: HS Team vs Travel Team"

I suspect the answer is going to be regional.   What applies to SoCal isn't going to necessarily apply to Virginia.   I don't necessarily look at it as a loyalty question but more of a communication question.  The travel coach should know that his high school experience is very important and a way to get more reps and possibly practice new things.  The best high school coaches in our area are tremendous resources that I don't think enough people leverage.  They know the travel coaches, local college coaches, and some of them are travel coaches.   Anything the high school coach can do to provide exposure and connections is icing on the cake.   It is up to you and your son to set those expectations, don't wait to hear it from either coach.

Oct->mid-Dec shutdown.  All three of my kids were not throwing baseballs.  They were working out, and doing "Open Gyms" that were run by the high school upper classmen.

mid-Dec->April was high school baseball focus with some semi-private pitching lessons thrown in there.  I had 3 kids play high school and travel baseball and there were no coaching conflicts, ever.

April->Oct - Travel baseball. Two baseball seasons; spring/summer and fall.   

Good luck!