Skip to main content

Reply to "Expectations of a HS Coach"

quote:
Originally posted by screwball:
seriously, thanks for all the opinions and advice. even you JAFO.

It seems like all the things that were said at the beginning of the thread that we should "expect" from our coach are really qualities of a good coach. when actually, we have no right to "expect" anything and should teach our sons to make the best out of it, it will build character. that is a shame. if this coach were an english, math, physics, etc teacher we would be having conference after conference. however, because there is "coach" is the job description we can't question it.

screwball,

The biggest difference is your analogy is that those academic courses are core, required courses. Sports are extracurricular, therefore participation is by choice, both by the player and coach.

I don't know that you can't conference, but I don't know what you would hope to accomplish. The coach either won't (stubborn), or can't (lack of knowledge), change anything. The player can choose to not return, but I think he, and you, would regret that decision. I really doubt there is as much harm being done as you might think. Most players that understand the game will overcome any poor teaching and return to things that have made them successful.