Skip to main content

Reply to "Expected time commitment -High school Coach"

I’m guessing the typical high school coach isn’t as committed as the original post’s example. My kids attended a high school with loser softball and baseball programs up until when they arrived. I believe the previous coaches went through the motions. They were glorified baby sitters who tried to keep parents happy.

My kids were fortunate to be coached by new regimes brought in by a new AD. The new coaches came as assistants from established winning programs. The teams went from bottom feeders to conference champions quickly. Now there were pissed off parents who couldn’t control the program and the coaches didn’t care what they thought. 

From what I observed, heard and told directly by the coaches aside from teaching their time was taken up with player development, fundraising, facility improvement and tracking individual academic standing. These were year round issues. In the summer they ran 7-12yo camps to raise money.

With the new coaches the sport went from show up for tryouts to fall ball and winter training, then season. Players were expected to show up the first day of tryouts in mid season form. Tryouts were a formality except maybe the last roster spots at each level.

Being a large high school with sports programs getting off the ground guidance counselors experienced with college prospect athletes were added. While the coaches had some input with college coaches most input and contact came from travel coaches. The high school coaches were asked more about citizenship and keeping up with academics.

Both my kid’s coaches we’re former college players with the goal of becoming a college coach. One made it. The other now owns a baseball academy. He decided having young kids and commitment to rising in coaching didn’t mix well.

Last edited by RJM