Skip to main content

Reply to "Expected time commitment -High school Coach"

@PABaseball posted:

I would say these are very high and unrealistic expectations for a high school coach. Not that it can't be done, the top coaches do this, but to expect this across the board is asking way too much. For a stipend of a few thousand dollars - that is a lot of time to be investing. Unless it is your program and something you plan on being part of for a while, then yes. But a lot of high school coaches are teachers looking to make a few extra bucks during the season. 

Should a HS coach be doing this? If they want to have a successful program - yes. Does a HS coach have to do all this to be successful? No. 

There are good HS coaches out there, don't get me wrong - I know there are many on this board who do the things mentioned. But the truth is a good baseball player doesn't need to be following a detailed plan from his HS coach. He should be working out regularly, playing competitive travel ball, and following a program tailored to his specific baseball needs. For the marginal guys, it can be helpful, but I've seen good coaches who didn't even know what Perfect Game was and bad coaches who did everything mentioned above. I would say this is asking for a lot, even from an A+ HS coach. 

What I expect from my HS coach - win us championships

What I expect from travel coaches and trainers - get me better and to the next level 

Thank you very much for this reply. This is very good information. What could or should be expected from a stipend coach? My question may have come across as asking way too much from a coach. 

I wanted to put all of that out because the only thing that our coach does is the Feb-May time-frame.

None of the other stuff happens.