Skip to main content

Reply to "Expected time commitment -High school Coach"

We're in Iowa with summer baseball. I'm pretty sure our coach gets about $600 a year. Here's what our world was.

January — coach is coaching wrestling and teaching third grade. Kids who care are lining up sessions with private coaches, my kid usually did a preseason warmup package with his summer team. HS has a lifting manager who focuses on football, but he would put together programs for baseball.

February — wrestling ends, pitchers and catchers begin light throwing inside. Kids who care step up their private efforts. Lifting continues.

March-April or so — coach gets someone (usually a dad) to put together a summer league to play other schools around the area. Pitch counts are low and strictly monitored. HS coach attends games from time to time. Lifting continues.

May-July — Tryouts, practices, games. State tournament is end of July. Lifting continues

August-January — No official action, but whenever we asked coach turned over the keys to the HS complex so son could shoot video or a group of kids who cared could get together and practice/play. Most serious players go play fall ball. When school started in August, coach would pull kids in for a "if you plan to play baseball next year" meeting and get them started in the weight room.

On the one hand, this put a lot of the weight on the kids and honestly, I think that was a good thing. People knew who was putting in the time and if they weren't, they couldn't complain about lack of playing time.

On the other, despite the low pay and the fact that he's not the best baseball guy in the world, our coach was always there for whatever we asked, including access to facilities and pitching tracking equipment, etc.

We can't put a dollar amount on what he did for my kid.