Skip to main content

Reply to "Expected time commitment -High school Coach"

We live in a small midwestern state in a city of about 500K-ish if you count the suburbs.  95+% of baseball HCs are teachers.  HS baseball happens in the spring and transitions immediately into Legion ball in the summer.  I sincerely appreciate the coaches time and efforts.  The hourly wage works out to be something awful.  But I am not comfortable calling them coaches.  The best descriptor is "manager."  95% of the actual coaching (individual development and learning) happens outside of the high school HC.  No high school coach around here is taking the time to focus on Johnny 3B's swing mechanics.  Or improving Jimmy P's FB velo or change up.  The HC might throw out some high level feedback here and there, but that's not coaching in my mind.  If focused individual attention is happening, parents are paying good money for private lessons, camps, clinics, etc.   "Select"/travel ball (USSSA) for 8U-14U has devoured and monopolized the area.  I can't count how many peers of my son were getting $50-100/hour private pitching and hitting lessons since the age of 8.  Hell, I knew of a couple of his peers who were seeing sports psychologists at the age of 9.  You can't make this stuff up!  My point is this.  High school coaches don't coach/instruct here because the parents pay to have it done for 10 years before the kid even gets to them.  So you give the high school players some BP and INF and OF warmups and you pretty much call it good.