Skip to main content

Reply to "Expected time commitment -High school Coach"

@cabbagedad posted:

I stepped away a few years ago.  California.  Typical year -

Nov/Dec - conditioning 3 to 5 times/wk, arm ramp up/P pen progressions where applicable, equipment/spirit pack orders, put together staffs for V  and JV, game schedules, some facilities work, coordinate fundraisers, etc..  The conditioning sessions required a fair amount of planning, particularly with limited facilities and fitness equip.  Averaged maybe 15-20 hrs/wk.

Jan/Feb - tryouts, daily practice, separate P pen progressions, grounds/facilities work, parent meeting, team meetings, league meetings, fundraisers, assign and coordinate parent volunteer work (snack bar, van drivers, announcers booth/music, scorekeep, photographer, team dinners, etc.) coordinate community involvement event/s, track and issue equipment, spirit packs, uni's.  Quite a bit of time went into planning each practice to and coordinating between V and JV as necessary to maximize efficiency.  Averaged 30+ hrs/wk.

Mar/Apr/May - practices, games, game prep/planning, grounds/facilites work, team meetings, manage maxpreps/stats, media communication, AD communication, admin reports, PT communication, volunteer communication, occasional parent calls, community events.  Playoffs.  player one-on-one's mapping plans/goals for next year.  Averaged 35+ hrs/wk.

Jun/July/Aug - season wrap - league meetings, team/award dinner, short dead period, some form of summer ball schedule and a tourney or two with separate round of equipment ordering, coordinating umps, transportation.  Typically hosted a tourney to cover summer ball costs.  Averaged 15-20 hrs/wk.

Sept/Oct - take some time, start planning for the next year.  Say hi to my wife and kids, as this was all on top of a regular job.  Just drive down to the field for a "look" once in a while  

More recently, some summer ball has shifted to fall.  I was at a small/medium school where many players were multi-sport, so there was extra coordination and extended tryout periods.  Yeah, I could have done it in less hours but it was necessary if we were to have a quality, competitive program.  Some guys in our area do less.  Many do the same.  You can usually tell as soon as a team takes the field.  Can't blame the guys who do less.  It can be REALLY hard to warrant the very significant time commitment to do it right for the boys, particularly when it is essentially no pay.

So, are you asking as a parent or as someone considering coaching?  

Thank you for this time-frame. I am asking for both reasons. As a parent of a child who is part of a "team" but not really a program but also to possibly help change the culture. Our coach just doesn't seem to have any passion for the position.  I'm not the kind to cause conflict but I wanted to get some comps to hopefully help our current coach or at least understand how a successful program is ran.