Skip to main content

Reply to "Expected time commitment -High school Coach"

@TN DAD posted:

Thank you for this time-frame. I am asking for both reasons. As a parent of a child who is part of a "team" but not really a program but also to possibly help change the culture. Our coach just doesn't seem to have any passion for the position.  I'm not the kind to cause conflict but I wanted to get some comps to hopefully help our current coach or at least understand how a successful program is ran.

Tn Dad, not knowing more specifics of your particular situation, I'll throw out some more stuff that may or may not apply...

Be aware that many of the duties and responsibilities occur behind the scenes, where you may not be aware of all that he does.  Be aware that there can be significant obstacles with administration, league rules, budget, etc., that can limit a coach in many ways.  Be aware that getting involved with the coaching side can be exponentially more difficult if you are a parent of a player and can cause particular challenges for your son as well.  These can be  overcome but...   Be aware that a HC has to approach things with the best interest of the whole program (sometimes 35-60+ players) in mind, not just one.  So, the parent of one will almost always feel their son isn't getting the individual attention they would like him to get.  Be aware that finding that individual that is all things - well qualified, connects with the players, willing to work for nothing, able to make things fit with his/her existing life and work schedule, willing to make the huge time commitment, willing to deal with administration and parent issues, etc. can be extremely difficult, so be very careful about running off the guy that has already stepped up to do this, albeit perhaps to a lesser extent than you would prefer.  I have seen many very good coaches run off or quit due, largely, to parents not understanding the challenges and restrictions coaches face.  Often, the replacement is far inferior, so be careful what you wish for.  Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more privately - I may be able to steer you to ways to help and/or accept and make the best of the situation, as Adbono said.

PS - just saw that part of your profile is "new coach" and you reference "...possibly help change the culture" in your post.  I was directly involved in successfully flipping the culture in our program... again, would be happy to provide any help, answer any questions via PM.

Last edited by cabbagedad