Skip to main content

Reply to "Expected time commitment -High school Coach"

@PitchingFan posted:

The way you worded it.  I would hope a high school coach would not charge his players for lessons.  But I know those who do. 

I missed your reply.  I've been on this site since it first started and have been a moderator here ever since MN Mom took over the site.  I moderate other boards as well.  I have a pretty impressive resume but I won't bore you with that.  Why should I be required to coach for free when my contract for HS ball is set by the state association.  After that, it is my free time to do as I think right.  I would expect any person with a skill to charge for that skill.  This past week, we called a plummer and paid him a lot for his skill.  In HS ball, I don't get paid much for my skill.  I do it because I love the game and the players.  If I run a business in the summer, I should be allowed to make money from that business.  No one is forcing any player to take lessons from me.  In fact, and if you followed my posts on this and other sites, I turn a lot of people down each summer.  I set my capacity at 22 hitters.  I have hitters from my school and all over the area.  I have a range of hitters from age 10 to collegiate hitters.  (I don't count the collegiate hitters in my 22 since they most often call and ask to get in for a very brief time.

Now to the rest of your question.  Yes, I charge.  I used to do it for free.  I didn't want the pain from an additional form for taxes.  I am very expensive.    My AD called me in and asked me to charge since he thought that with me having a business but our players hitting for free it might cause some concerns with parents who didn't get their hitter in.  So, I charge $15 for approximately 45 min.  I have hitters hit in groups of 2.  I turned down, and I think I mentioned this on this site last year, approximately 50 hitters last year.  Per my parents, they are told that I don't require hitters to hit with me.  They want that due to the success of my hitters.  Again, the resume stuff.  Then, there is the success of my personal hitting student.  My kid went on to be a two time All American, hit 50 home runs in college and broke 8 of her college records.  Sorry, resume.  

Now the question back to you is why you would expect me to donate my times and skills for free?