Skip to main content

Reply to "Expected time commitment -High school Coach"

@PitchingFan posted:

I have a problem with any coach at any level who charges his own players for lessons.  I think you can use facilities but not to charge your players.  It fits under above reproach.  I don’t think travel coaches should charge their players for lessons.  Make that money from others not yours.  It falls under conflict of interest and if you want me to help you then you will have to pay.  Just me.  But not a fan of it.  

So, in your view, I should do all of the work like I did getting up at 6 in the morning 5 days a week to do weight room, staying after school for open gym, working on the field mowing, weeding, ... repairing facilities, buying equipment, ... and I am to be condemned for trying to make some money.  If you factor in all of the time away from the family to do this, you then find out why so many people are getting out of coaching.  In a neighboring school district, a young man I coached against has called it quits after 4 years.  He couldn't handle the time away from family while his kids were young.  He also couldn't handle all of the criticism when he was trying to build a program.  I built a program!  

Again, in my case parents are begging to get their child in.  This summer when we were not allowed to coach, parents were furious that I could not coach them.  I don't think any of our parents are upset that I do lessons.