Skip to main content

Reply to "Expected time commitment -High school Coach"

@TN DAD posted:

Hello all,

I fully expect a coach even at the High School level is "coaching" all of the time in some form or fashion. But what is the expected time commitment from coaches throughout the country? I figured the expected commitment time frame is something like this:

Jan-May coaching and practicing and playing

June- Small break and then field maintenance, facilities upkeep, and promotion, securing donors, camps

July - Same as June but with Dead period, communicate off-season/summer workouts, conditioning

August-December - School starts- volunteer "open cage" after school, communicating with players about expectations, grades, potential college interest, suggest camps, showcases

This seems like a full year job and for a passionate person, this is part of the process.

I want to fully understand the commitment from a coaches and parents expectation.

Thanks so much!!

Back to OP....My parental expectation of a high school coach is to be a role model for the development of solid character & importance of team, provide safe structured team practices but know (be interested in) the players' skill sets individually with in season coaching, and ideally be available if the players (not parents) have off season questions or need occasional guidance (camps, colleges, workouts, arm health). I am truly amazed at the passion, time and true dedication virtually EVERY single coach has displayed since my college player was 4. Sure we as parents have witnessed all different coaching styles, playing opportunity politics, but we decided to look at the big picture & give people the benefit of the doubt. I love your ideal plan, but as a parent the plan above far exceeds my expectation. Not being a coach's wife but being besties with many, condensing the June- December schedule to focus on your other job and family, may bring loads of joy and secure the personal support you will need to start off the next season. Our high school did just go through a head coach and culture change after a 3 year transitional period so I wish you luck. As mom, I took the approach of being grateful for the coaches' over the top in season time commitment & respecting their experience (whether it be with baseball or life in general) and it worked out well.