Skip to main content

Reply to "Expected time commitment -High school Coach"

@2022NYC posted:

Coach B,

You absolutely have a right to earn a living and I absolutely wish my kid could be trained by you. I may be an alarmist here but imo this is a recipe for a disaster and can ruin your good reputation. What if a student who is not taking lessons from you gets cut and their parents argue their darling child was unfairly treated because you favored kids on the team who paid you? 

I hand out a "hold harmless agreement" before each hitting session.  As you might know, they really are worthless for the most part BUT one statement on it states that if your child takes hitting lessons from me, it does not guarantee your child anything.   (Paraphrasing.)  Again, I limit my sessions to 22 hitters.  Pretty much the hitters that make it in are some of the better players anyway and have the drive to do these lessons.  I give the first lesson to any new hitter for free and I assess them.  If they don't have the drive and aren't coachable, they won't get past that free lesson.  I only have hard chargers in my lessons.  I recently sent video of one of my hitters to a college coach.  In the video, I pointed out that this player works and had to have a special time.  1:00 in the afternoon.  that had them wrapping up around 2:00.  I told the college coach that if they questioned this hitter's work ethic that on the day of the video, this hitter was hitting at 107 heat index and did so for an hour.  I also told that coach that this hitter would shatter his school's records.  Well, the virus hit but this hitter was having one of the top 3 seasons in the history of that school for a freshman.  

Edited--

I live in a very small town. I often refer to it as "Small Town USA."  Everywhere I go I am called "coach."  I have coached HS ball for 35 years.  I am now coaching former player's kids.  My reputation is solid and I'm not worried about it.  

Last edited by CoachB25