Skip to main content

Reply to "Experience with PTW showcases?"

My son attended PTW east in July. We found it to be very organized. Our session was broken up into a morning and afternoon group, so there were only about 50 kids per group. The coaches were all on the side to view the workout which was like any other with 60yrd(laser timed), infield, outfield. The pace was fast because there were only about 10  kids per position so there weren't alot of down time. We liked the setup of their simulated games. Each pitcher threw to 5 batters starting with 1-1 count. Position players had many opportunities to field during these games and college coaches are rotated into the field for these games. They list who is suppose to be where and at which game, so your son can plan accordingly.

There is about 1/2 hr at the end to interact with coaches. In our case, we were in the afternoon group. My feeling is that the morning group gets a bit more interaction because the coaches can't really go anywhere with the afternoon group warming up and a whole other set of kids to be seen. By the end of the 2nd group, the coaches have all been there for about 12hrs or more. I imagine some coaches are more eager to finish up if there wasn't someone they were seriously interested in. 

I feel that PTW is a great showcase for players that have target schools that they have prior contact with. Possibly good for initial contact, depending on son's skill level. Due to it being a total of about 7hrs in our session, it was also not draining. My son did Headfirst a few days later. Compared to Headfirst, PTW is more compact and your son really needs to be proactive about going up to coaches as there's no time to waste. If your budget allows for multiple showcases, I think PTW is worth it. Most coaches seem to like to see kids multiple times before getting serious.