Skip to main content

Reply to "Experience with PTW showcases?"

JCG posted:
GaryMe posted:
adbono posted:

I have second hand information to relate about PTW, but I think it applies. A very good friend (whose son I coached) hired PTW to help get his son (2018 MIF) placed after his sophomore year of HS.  I think it cost him 4K plus the cost of the events. The benefits of doing that were well worth the cost IMO.  PTW evaluated film on the player, conducted an extensive interview, and developed a recruiting strategy based on their perception of the best fit. In the case I'm describing everyone agreed early on that the target was high academic D3s.  PTW used relationships they had developed with HA D3 coaches and promoted the player to these coaches.  At the PTW events that this player attended the HA D3 coaches already knew about the kid (and had seen video) before the event took place.  Events for the player to attend were selected based on whether or not the right coaches were there.  The strategy was successful and in the end the kid had a choice between Haverford & Swarthmore (and a near miss with Johns Hopkins). He chose Haverford. But here is my point - PTW did things to successfully promote this player that you (a parent) cant do. PTW has a direct line to many HA HCs.  You don't. If you are considering their events you might want to consider hiring them to place your son.  HA is a bit of a niche target and they can help get you there. In general I don't recommend recruiting services but HA D3 is a place where the right service can really make a difference. Just my opinion but I had a front row seat and watched it happen for my friend and his kid.

^^^^^^ This is an awesome post from someone who knows what he is talking about. You have to focus on dialing in your exposure events to ensure the schools you are targeting are in attendance and know you will be there. Having an advocate for your son who the school knows and trusts is another key ingredient. Follow Adbono's advice...he is spot on.

It sounds like Adbono's friend's kid had a great outcome, so that is great.  But from reading this, I would not want other parents to feel that only by using someone like PTW (which I had not heard of before this thread, to be honest) can a player be recruited by programs such as are named Adbono's post. Part of a coach's job is to find talent,  so D3 coaches spend a lot of time going to events like Headfirst, Stanford, AZ Fall Classic, Norcal WS, etc,  to find that talent. They don't wait  until a recruiting service shows it to them.  We have many, many folks on this forum, myself included, whose kids had great schools recruit them and commit them without help from recruiting services.

That's true, but to the OP's question, he was specifically asking about experience with PTW. I think the general premise of Adbono's post is: 1) have a strategy 2) go where those coaches are going to be 3) have an advocate who is known and trusted by that school as a person who can at least provide an initial vetting.

I don't think Adbono is necessarily steering people toward these services, he is stating that some of them do have merit and in his personal experience he saw PTW provide value and results.

We all know that 90% of what these services do can be done on our own at minimal to no cost, the intangible here is the relationships the people associated with the services have with the coaching staffs, which is often something the players/families are lacking an incapable of replicating.