Skip to main content

Reply to "Experiencing College Baseball as a parent"

JH - Great thought for a thread starter.  There has been something that I've wanted to share, but I haven't found the right context to share it.  Injuries & rehab are possibly one of the most important things to understand as a parent if your son is headed to college to play baseball.  As a parent, you need to know when to step in, and need to know whom to talk to.

Injuries are part of the game.  There is a big difference between niggly injuries and major injuries.   Enter the training staff.  It is so important to have a competent training staff to identify and deal with physical issues. 

If your son is being recruited or will be a freshmen next year, go out of your way to introduce yourself to the training and medical staff.   Get to know them and get their phone numbers and emails.   In all likelihood, you will be talking to them much more often than the coaching staff.  I speak to the coaches when I'm spoken to.   But in the case of your son's physical health it is imperitive that you be proactive, communicate when needed, and know the staff and their recommend Doctors.  We recently had to go through some niggley physical issues (no surgery...thank you very much) that my son is rehabbing from.  He's fine, and he will be on the bump soon.   The trainer and I were talking every other day, and we got our local Doctor in the loop too to discuss previous MRIs, etc....  So, as a college baseball parent please get to know your son's training & medical staff, and how they operate.  It is very important.