Skip to main content

Reply to "Experiencing College Baseball as a parent"

Good point Fenway.  My son is just going through a shoulder issue.  He's a freshman college pitcher.  Often times, I had, and I'm sure others have wondered what happens when a player gets injured.  Here's what happened with us.  Son saw the trainers on the team first.  They told him what they thought it was.  Then they took him to a doctor at the clinic on the school campus.  He told son what he thought it was, but referred him to the off campus school orthopedist.  I looked into him and he is very good.  Well, the trainer and 1st doctor gave us news that was not very encouraging.  Orthopedic doctor's new was much more encouragaing.  My son didn't really understand what he said it was, but basically said that he didn't think it was that serious.  To get a better answer, I emailed the trainer and he explained exactly what the doctor said it was.  I didn't do what fenway suggested at the beginning, but I found the trainers email address on the website and contacted him that way.  It's been a little over a week and son's shoulder is getting better already, but the trainer seemed more than happy to let me know what was going on.

Another thing that was not a huge surprise to me, but my wife is shocked by every time we go to a game is the coaches interactions with the parents.  Basically, there is none.  When they recruited our son, they were very friendly and out going.  My wife loved that.  Since he's been at the school, we're lucky if we get a quick nod from any of them.  Parents are a total non issue.  I don't take it personally, I'm just guessing that they have seen so many kids come and go, there is no point in parent involvement.  Maybe it will change as son is there longer, but I kind of doubt it.  We just go to the games to support the team and our son and appreciate the heck out of the fact that he still gets to play.