Skip to main content

Reply to "Experiencing College Baseball as a parent"

Wife and I went up for the weekend not knowing if we would see our son pitch at a preseason DII tournament. Seeing you son in a collegiate uniform and on the field still gives me goose bumps. I cannot express the feeling that I had, for most of you parents you truly understand that feeling and knowing what a great accomplishment this is.

In any event the team was up 7 to 9 and it was the top of eight. My son's room mate was on the mound and I noticed my son and the ctacher were in the bullpen doing a light warm up. After the second walk I noticed another player dashing to the bullpen and letting my son know to get hot. Well the normal stalls of catcher and coaches visits were in progress with the big stall and a warning from the umpire. Then the final walk and now the bases were loaded. My heart stopped when I saw the head coach walk onto the field and signal for my son to make that dash to the bump.

Holy &^%$ really bases loaded , no outs and the guy coming to the plate was 3 for 3 two doubles and a triple. The head coach handed him the ball and said.

"Son I am sorry but I am putting you in the worst spot possible for any pitcher, especially since this is your first time on the mound in college, GOOD LUCK" and off he went.

First Pitch "Strike" Oh yeah this is good.

Second pitch "Ball" just off the corner. Ok I am good. Palms sweating, heart racing and thats just me.

Third pitch "Strike" Slider and the guy looked silly swinging

Fourth pitch "No, No, No. Over the left field fence- Grand Slam

Oh Man, why my kid, man he was pissed. Just then I saw the Junior and senior middle infiled with the senior catcher walk to the mound and pick him up. I have no idea what they said nor do I want to know, but the next 3 batters were all sat down with nothing but strikes, A curve ball that bit, a slider that moved like I have never seen it and a fast ball that had Giddy up like I never though he could throw.

As they ran back to the dug out the Left fielder, who is all conference did a dash to catch up with our son and then walked into the dug out showing nothing but positive support.

Well it was one of those nights that I as a dad will never forget, but on that mound a 19 year old young man grew up. He gained the support and friendship of his team mates. Oh it affected him I had to go to his dorm room and beg him to come to dinner with his mother and I , his Aunt an one set of grandparents. Nothing was spoken about baseball at dinner, (What can you say) but the positive reforcement, from phone calls and texts from his teammamtes and coaches made it great. What a great group of guys.

The very next day they put him right back on the horse that threw him and he struck out the side on nine pitches. God bless the coaches for having the belief that he can do it.

To many parents who are just starting this journey these kids will figure it out. And to all of them it will not only have failures and accomplishments but it will make them better people, better business persons, better friends and teammates but most of all someday better parents. This entire experience has been just awesome and we are very humble for all of this God has given us a great gift. Now its time to get the next one into the scene.