Skip to main content

Reply to "Experiencing College Baseball as a parent"

Dad04.....got a good laugh from this "Being a pitcher's parent is scary and there is little you can do, but be supportive."

How true...how true.....it is like a great rollercoaster ride with the all thrills and scares....and once you get on the ride there is nothing you can do until the rides is over....

Originally Posted by Dad04:

Me and Mom04 were in the stands (at the top of the bleachers) for game 3 (Sunday) of son's freshman season. He got the start on the mound after very solid fall and winter scrimmage season.

This was the real thing though, not his buddies he had been schooling for 4 months............04 four takes his warm ups and promptly walks the first batter, missing the plate way outside with 4 pitches.....Catcher goes to the mound, goes back to the plate and 04 walks the next guy on 5 pitches. 

The HC pops out of the dugout with his hands in his back pockets and strolls to the mound for a chat.

O4 gets a grounder for a double play, but gives up another walk and a double before getting out of that inning. He goes on give up 4 runs in 2 2/3.

04's next chance to redeem himself was not until three weeks later at the U. Hawaii Aloha Tourney. He gets the start and promptly walks the first two batters. Out of the dugout pops Mr. Head Coach again, followed closely by the back-up catcher and two pitchers, sprinting to the bullpen.

Mr. Head Coach gathers the infield around his pitiful freshman starter. "Son. do you see those players sprinting to the bullpen to save your a$$?. You will either start trusting your stuff right here and right now, or else you will spend the rest of the season sitting next to me on the bench where I will teach you the finer points of the game ONE ON EFFING ONE! Do you understand me?"

Everybody returns to their positions and son throws 8 innings, giving up two runs and is named to the All-Tournament team. True story.

Being a pitcher's parent is scary and there is little you can do, but be supportive.