Skip to main content

Reply to "Experiencing College Baseball as a parent"

Some things we knew but also have "learned" since our child has gone to play college softball:

• If coach wants to talk to us, he'll stroll over and start the converstation.  Otherwise, be quiet.
  • If you child is in any position on that field, they will also occupy a spot in that doghouse at some point.
  • No matter how much I'd like to step in and mention a "tip" to my child about hitting, I keep my mouth shut.  Others have not learned that and so, their children do not have to worry about ABs now.
  • When you get that first phone call, as tough as it is, you have to let them stand on their own with coaches and teammates. 
  • No one cares if your child has gone 0fer for the day.  So, don't mention it.  However, you'll be inundated with comments from the parents of those players who had great days.  Per my wife and I, we have decided to nod, say positive things and get out of dodge.
  • Great advice on knowing the trainer.  Even though you might not make contact with them per a specific injury to your child, it is good to put a face with a name and at least know the person you are trusting your child's health to.
  • I don't know how many of you have had to do this, but be prepared to make a "laundry run" or two while your child is playing ball.  My dd lives close and so, it isn't as hard for us but a friend of mine just made a run to Iowa to do the laundry for his child.  My child will play 5 DHs coming up and will have 4 tests in that time.  There is absolutely no time for her to do any other thing including laundry.
  • Beware of the caustic parents.  Naturally, there will be parents who's children do not see the field.  As was said on Lost in Space, "Danger Will Robinson, Danger Danger."  Believe me, coach knows who is caustic and will look into the stands once in a while to see who is catching whom's ear.

Well, these are just a few observations.  My daughter is a sophomore now and is battling the best she can.  As parents, we have learned so much as well.  Should you ever see us at a game, my wife and I will be the older couple sitting in the chair that hardly ever says a word. 

Take care,