Skip to main content

Reply to "Exposure -- by time or ability?"

May I add that I think playing competitive travel type ball is a plus, especially for pitchers once in high school?  Here's why.

Kid gets to have fun playing.   

He gets to compete and see where he needs to improve.

He can work during the week on his game while playing ball.  Win/win.

If involved with the right program, he can get the exposure he needs and wants on a budget.   I'll put it this way.  It's $1800 to be a PO with East Coast Baseball.  Drop in for one game and head back out.  Directors are busy talking to the numerous college and pro scouts in attendance about your son, and others.  They are able to say, "Hey, ol' Bobby here", your son wouldn't happen to be named Bobby would he?  Any way, "Ol' Bobby here is struggling with command today, but he's in the process of adding 5 mph to his fastball."  Or, "He's just grown 4 inches."  Or, "He's been working hard to develop a new off-speed pitch."  

The scouts will get the radar readings, plus more personal information, "We expect him to grow to be 10'3".  His mom's an amazon."  "He's one of the hardest battlers we've seen."  "Last week he was 3 mph faster."

You may well not even need a PG showcase for having played on a good summer team.  He'll still play in many of the PG events.

I have better punctuationally, grammmor and spehling in this post since I'm not doing it on my phone.

Last edited by Teaching Elder