Skip to main content

Reply to "Exposure -- by time or ability?"

havanajay posted:
roothog66 posted:
kandkfunk posted:

FWIW, our top HS pitcher is a junior. He has gone to zero showcases and hasn't really played much tournament ball since he started high school. Maybe one tournament and nothing PG related. He is lefty sitting about 85 mph. Even with his lack of exposure, he is listed as a top prospect by our regional showcase group and scouts are starting to come to our HS games. He's had little exposure and "they" are still finding him.

You have to be careful with this notion, though, that if you have the talent, "they" will find you. This may be true if you're in a major metro area or near colleges. This is definitely not true for many others. I've mentioned it before, but we had a RHP last year who never attended a showcase or tournament of significance. He spent summers on a local team playing local tournaments. He sat 87-88 touching 90 on several occasions. 96 K's / 8 BB's and a 0.60 era. Fantastic secondary stuff. Not an ounce of interest. he ended up playing for the local J.C., but that was mainly because the J.C.'s HC's son was his teammate, so he saw him plenty. This same coach also told him not to pitch over the summer at all. I wonder why?

Did the JC HC tell him not to pitch the summer prior to his freshman or sophomore college season?  I wasn't sure if that was rhetorical...but why would a JC HC tell a pitcher not to pitch in the summer?  I'm honestly curious...

Yeah, he did tell him not to pitch the summer before he showed up on campus. He was supposed to play on a team that my son was on and they did get decent exposure. My paranoid mind suspects maybe he wouldn't want him to be seen by some D2 NCAA school looking to fill a roster spot with a 90mph type guy. Purely tongue-in-cheek speculation. the coach is actually a good guy and JC's do play a pretty heavy fall schedule, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.