Skip to main content

Reply to "Exposure -- by time or ability?"

PlayWithEffort posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Reading this thread is interesting, lots of good points made.   But the biggest thing missing was (in my opinion) the answer to the question the OP asked:  is there a set of measureables that tells you it is time to Showcase?  I think there is, and here is my attempt at listing those:

RHP: mid to Upper 80's
LHP: low to Mid 80's
C/1B/3B: 7.7 sixty time
MI/OF: 7.2 sixty time
Exit Velocity: 85 or higher
Catcher Pop Time: below 2.1
Positional Throwing Velocity: Over 82

Those are low estimates in some ways, and doesn't necessarily show the type of numbers to attract D1 attention, but I think are sufficient numbers to at least get started Showcasing.

3and2.

Thanks for taking a stab at this. I think identifying the minimum threshold is key and it’s probably a bit subjective.  That said, I think this is a reasonable starting point.

Question:

If you have at least those numbers

and you play for a good travel team that also records this data 

and the travel team has good relationships with colleges (and / or scouts)...

Do you showcase anyway?

Does it supplement the travel team’s data in a positive way? 

I think the showcases are big.  We have pretty much done the opposite of what we are supposed to do. My son’s travel team wasn’t a power team.  Never won a tournament last summer and I think my son was seen by one coach during the WWBA (our only out of state tournament and our only game at Lake Pointe).  My son wants to stay with friends so we are back on the same summer team.  We did do some additional showcases in the Fall.  From that, he got invites to Area Code tryouts, Jr. Nationals and Futures.  Those will be his opportunities for recruiting.  If your son is getting enough attention from just tournament play, you might not need showcases but they have been very important for my son and filled in the gaps.  He has been able to get attention from quite a few school just from videos and measurables from PBR and PG.