Skip to main content

Reply to "Exposure -- by time or ability?"

2019Dad posted:

Thanks for reviving this thread 3and2. Since I'm the OP, I guess I'll update two years later: my son still has not done a showcase. Maybe he should have? In any event, he is signed up for one this summer.* I do think it is easier for pitchers to not showcase -- PBR has velo on his profile (recorded at a couple of his HS games) and PG wrote him up/recorded velo at one of his HS games, too.** As others have noted, it can be more difficult as a hitter, and the showcase at least guarantees that you will get a pitch to hit. So I get that part of it.

*He's also never done an individual college camp. Maybe I've spent too much time reading HSBBW, lol. But he has one of those coming up in a few weeks -- in this case, he was called by the PC and invited for a visit right before the camp starts, so what the heck, he'll give it a shot.

**In both cases, 2 mph under his all-time high, but, heck, that can happen at a showcase, too. Every day is not your best day, right?

I think things dont really happen for most until senior summer.  Yes a lot of 2019 have committed, but the next wave is on its way.

Camps can be beneficial if it is a PROSPECT camp. Some programs do have them and invite those they are serious about recruiting. Now some of that has changed due to new rules. But I do stand by my opinion that the main purpose is to pay salaries. FWIW, the person  responsible for setting up camps is the volunteer assistant! Thats part of his job!  Now that rules have changed coaches will invite those they can legally speak to at their facilities!

Do what you can to promote your player, within reason. Some of these showcases are ridiculous in price. People aren't aware that coaches are paid to attend  and run some of these very large showcases/combines. And guess who represents the school..yup the volunteer assistant!

FWIW, when it comes to the huge events I know that D1 and D2 programs uses PG for information gathered on that player.   

Something to remember about something you have said. Not everyday is your best day and coaches know and understand it. They don't just look at velocity.  Now if it says that the pitcher throws one thing and something is way off, there is a problem.  They also have scouts out there watching for them.

Going into prime recruiting for 2019s, I think that all good things will happen for your son, be patient, and have FUN!