Skip to main content

Reply to "Facilities"

quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog 19:Wow... my description makes it sound like we've got a horrible field. That really isn't the case as CoachB25 would probably agree to. Our head coach spends A LOT of time working on the field yearround.

Doesn’t sound horrible, but rather that you’re dissatisfied. Wink

Almost all of the negative “issues” you mentioned are a direct result of not enough bodies to work on it, but some are literally 20 minute fixes for very little $$$$$.

The weeds on the track can be taken care of with $20 hand sprayer, and a couple ounces of roundup in just 20 minutes or so, and could be virtually eliminated by putting down a good pre-emergent.

The low spots in the IF dirt can be easily taken care of with a couple wheel barrows of additional dirt. Wet spots because they’re low on the rest of the field can easily be taken care of by topdressing with the cheapest sand you can get your hands on, and applying a half inch or so and raking it in, every 10days to 2 weeks in the growing season. If the wet spot persists, renting a small trencher and putting in some 3” drainage pipe with holes in it and covered with a sleeve to keep dirt out is really pretty easy. Takes some time and a few $$$$$, but can be done in just a few hours with the right equipment.

I really hate to see grass base paths, especially if they’re already dirt!

Why did they RAISE the plate?

To be honest, it sounds like nothing more than a very old ball field, a lack of funds to maintain it well, and a lack of desire on the part of the parents to donate a little labor to help. That’s not an indictment, its just a pretty normal thing. During the life of a baseball field, if little preventative things aren’t done, pretty soon things start adding up and the field degrades. It happens almost everywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog 19:When we move to the new high school for the 2009-2010 school year, we are supposed to be moving to a new baseball complex which will include both a varsity and JV baseball diamond. It has been said that they have brought in a company who has designed several minor league facilities, but we aren't going to hold our breaths..

In good conscience, I’ve got to issue this warning. If the old facility is as poorly maintained as you say, a slick new facility with all kinds of bells and whistles isn’t going to solve any problems what-so-ever, other than it’ll be eye candy.

A big problem that people don’t quite get is, that new field will need even more attention than the old one because any “warts” will really be noticeable.

Since I’ve been through this what seems like a million times, I’ll offer this. Work with the designers and some local landscape gurus to develop a preventive maintenance plan! Find out the best way to keep weeds out of the grass, and the best way to get rid of the ones that do. DO other little things like put up signs warning everyone that smacking baseballs into the chain link isn’t going to be tolerated! Make sure that whoever puts in the facility, provides enough of each color of paint that will be used so touch-ups can be taken care of quickly.

Make sure any mowers used will be properly maintained so that any blades are sharp and things like adjustments work. Make sure any other field maintenance equipment is also in top shape! Spend a couple hundred buck and get a new drag, preferably 2! Along those lines, I’d make sure the base lines were not only dirt, but were at least wide enough to accommodate a drag. If you don’t like the wide lines, buy a narrower drag! There is nothing worse than using rakes on baselines!

If nothing else, if you don’t have a reel mower for the IF, get one! Nothing looks better than grass that’s been mowed with a sharp reel mower, and the rollers help keep the field smooth.

If your gonna have irrigation, make sure the controller for the field is accessible, and that the coach can control the time on each of the stations. Make sure there’s an irrigation station and heads that will do nothing but water the IF dirt, and make sure it can only be activated manually!

Make sure there are electrical and water stubs in the dugouts, and in the OF where lights or a scoreboard might be envisioned. It’s a lot easier and cheaper to do it during construction, than later on. Make sure there is a sewer stub close at hand in case there will ever be REAL restroom facilities.

Think about this because its another one that would be much easier during construction. I’ve seen a few ball fields that have MISTERS in the dugouts, and one where they had them running up the vertical backstop poles. You’d be amazed at how much they can cool off a dugout, and even more amazed at how much they’ll cool off the stands.

There’s prolly a million other things I’m forgetting, but I think you’re getting the idea. DON’T JUST SIT BACK AND TAKE WHAT YOUR GIVEN! Make sure you have some input.