Skip to main content

Reply to "Fair/Foul and New Replay Rules"

quote:
Originally posted by Stats4Gnats:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog 19:
Jimmy and I disagree often. This one we do not.

If we want so much replay and so much technology involved, why not make everything done on a computer? Why have multi-million dollar stadiums? Why have 30k fans at a game? Just play it on a computer, save million dollar salaries and have zero fun.

I really don’t understand what your point is in arguing that computers may as well play the game, rather than to simply have technology help apply the rules. The two things are totally different.

What you seem to be saying is, the game as it is in inviolate and nothing should be allowed to change it in any way, but even the youngest of us has seen the rule book change during our lives. Unless you advocate going back to the original rules of the game, you have no reason to argue against any changes the owners decide to make.

You’re what I’d call a dyed in the wool traditionalist. You don’t have any really good reasons not to change the game, but you don’t want to see it changed. That doesn’t make you an evil person who needs to be hunted down and eradicated, but it does make me wonder why you’re so dead set against change, even if it will make the game better in the eyes of the people who own the game.

Assume you were an owner of a ML franchise, and the people running the organization proved to you that the fans, aka the consumers of your product, were losing confidence in whether or not the game was being conducted as well as it could, because all the TV replays were showing a great deal of umpire fallibility, and the bottom line was being affected. You could do what you’ve always done and send out some more memos demanding better umpiring, knowing full well the umpires were at the upper limits of their capability, or you could for all intents and purposes, make at least part of the problem disappear. What would you do, tell the fans tough */%@? Wink

The funny thing is that most fans don't agree that IR needs to expanded. Most,if not all, talking idiots think it does. Many of the ESPN analysts believe it too but they have a bias against officials in all sports, it makes their job easier.
Last edited by Michael S. Taylor