Skip to main content

Reply to "Family Baseball History"

@CaliDad posted:

Baseball genetics has zero to do with the success of a player.  I have seen kids whose fathers were MLB players and grandfathers  were hall of famers.  When they were young, these kids were no better than anyone else (and sometimes worse).  What was apparent, however, is that these boys got way more opportunities than anyone else.  Like the bosses nephew... everyone fawned over the dad and grandfather.  This allowed the kid to obtain the 'luxury of failure'.  The luxury of failure is the key to success in this game.  Without it, pressure builds and you have only one chance to make an impression.

I'm not complaining.  I'm just telling it like it is.  Which makes the answer to your question a hard 'yes'.  You want to make sure you tell those coaches about the family history.  It might be the only connection you need.

I disagree. Genetics definitely plays a part in athletic ability. However, the athlete may not be marrying an athlete. A friend of mine was a 6’5” All American and made it to AAA. His first wife was a short, non athletic woman. His son didn’t make six feet and wasn’t good enough to make varsity. He joked (to me) his ex polluted the family gene pool. His second wife was tall and athletic. Their daughter was a D1 volleyball player. 

Last edited by RJM