Skip to main content

Reply to "Family Baseball History"

@RJM posted:

I’m L/L. It ticked me off I couldn’t play short after LL. So I taught both kids to be R/L. My son started hanging around his older sister’s practices at two years old. He hadn’t shown a hand preference yet. I taught him how to throw right. By five it was obvious he was left handed. I didn’t change him. He was going to be a stud SS. He played short through soph year of high school when he was switched to center.

Besides, who wants a left handed pitcher who threw 87/maxed 90 as a RHP who maybe could have thrown harder as a lefty? < sarcasm  But it all worked out for him through college throwing right and playing seven positions. My daughter got switched from short to center in middle school. But she threw right handed naturally. She played outfield in college.

Just a bit of irony ... Despite throwing left I wrote and kicked right. My son threw right and wrote and kicked left.

Funny you mention it. I'm right handed. Never attempted batting left. Then, a few years ago, did a simple test that determined I was right eye dominant, so decided to give it a try. Within about 30 BP swings I was noticeably better as a LHH with a lot more power. Holy crap. Why didn't I figure that out as a kid?