Skip to main content

Reply to "FC or Hit"

Originally Posted by bballdad2016:

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
 ... FC whether he had a shot at the batter runner or not. 

I have to disagree with this statement.  FC vs a Hit is not an absolute.  Hopefully Stats will chime in. 

It is not an absolute in the case described bu original poster.  It is a absolute in scenario I mentioned.  Another example, a batter with lightning speed.  Men on 1st and 2nd.  Ball hit to the hole.  SS backhands and throws to third to force runner.  All agree there is absolutely no chance batter would have been out.  Still a FC.  Bases loaded, swinging bunt.  Slow runner on third fast runner at the plate third baseman charges and throws to the plate for the force.  FC regardless of no chance they could have gotten batter.  Bottom line even if the scorer may technically have the option of scoring some of these hits they won't.   That would open a can of worms.  Don't know what the official scoring rules are now for a pitching win but I know there was a time a scorer could award the win to any pitcher he wanted as the five inning thing was just a guideline.  But of course nobody did.  So sometimes its a matter of separating technicalities from reality.