Skip to main content

Reply to "FC or Hit"

Stats4gnats-Our team coach looks at the standard stats but is not a major influence in his game decisions.  He's more concerned about OBP, first pitch strike %, hitter contact rate, spray charts and similar stats like that.
The newspaper will use home team stars for game summary.  Individual players will use for their baseball resumes.  And the coaches will use for their recommendation for All-Conference and All-State.  That last sentence is where your definition of average player gets confusing.  We are the biggest school in our conference and are a division up in classification from all other conference teams.  So the typical average player in conference is of lower ability to that of the division that we play in for playoffs.  Using your definition I would almost have to have two sets of books; one for lower level all-conference recommendation and one for higher level all state recognition.  All said we are splitting hairs on average player, I would bet its no more than 5 plays in a 30 game highschool varsity season.

By the way I also hate the touched the glove call.  If a pitcher saves his life by getting his glove on a rocket back at him, it a hit not an error.  Or the outfielder that get a good jump on a ball hit directly over his head and his only play is to try to willie mays catch and the ball touches his glove before it hits the ground is a hit.  The 2nd basemen that lets the ROUTINE ball go through his legs because his glove was not all the down, is not a hit.