Skip to main content

Reply to "Feedback, advice etc please..."

Coach you find yourself in a familiar situation. Many coaches have coached young players for years and assisted them in becoming good players prior to going into a hs program. The players and the coach build a special bond. The players trust you and your opinion. You want to look after these players that you have helped.

Every hs program does not offer the same things as far as coaching and instruction. Some kids experiences at the pre hs level is better as far as instruction and coaching. Some kids experiences at the pre hs level offers better competition than the JV level of baseball will offer. But hs baseball is a stepping stone in the ladder of baseball.

If you allow yourself to be a stumbling block in this situation you will be hurting these players development. Not in the instruction and learning of the actual game but in the learning of how to deal with the situations that they will have to learn to deal with as hs players. Players will come back to you and say "Coach they are trying to change my swing." "Coach can you believe they have Billy playing 1st base." "Coach Timmy is not pitching." "Coach they are telling me to field like this can you believe that?"

If you are not careful you can really hinder these kids and their development in your attempts to actually help them. You will reinforce their doubts about their coaches and end up in the end being a stumbling block to them. Just like someone would be if they were giving your players this shoulder to cry on when your season begins and your the coach. Players can figure all of this for themselves. But they never will if you are part of it during the hs season.

When the hs season starts get out of the way and let the boys find their own way and figure it out. Believe me they will. When your season starts coach them up and teach them to the best of your ability. When the hs season starts get out of the way and let them grow as young men in the game. The parents of these players will call you and cry on your shoulder as well. But only the ones that are not happy with their sons playing time , where they hit in the order or what posistion they are playing. The ones that are happy with the way things are going will not be calling.

If you get in the middle of this stuff you will be hurting those players that need to learn how to deal with with all of this. Its part of growing up in the game. Some hs programs offer kids great coaching and great instruction. And in those programs there are still players that are unhappy and looking for people to validate their excuses. Dont be this guy. Stay out of this one. "Boys I am not your coach right now. Get out there and work hard and do your best. I will see you after the season."