Skip to main content

Reply to "Female Baseball Players"

quote:
Originally posted by P1tickethead110:
quote:
Originally posted by Dear old Dad:
If softball is available then she should play that and not take a spot on the team away from a guy.

This is not a talent issue at all. It is about equal opportunity to participate.

If the guy can't win the spot over a girl then he probably would be riding the pine all season anyway.

You misinterpreted my post. My point is that if softball is available for girls then they should be ineligible for baseball. And boys should be ineligible for softball.

The people who beleive a girl should be able to play baseball even if there is a softball team available are being myopic about the ramifications of such a policy.

A high school that would allow free participation of all sports for either gender would be a disaster. All it would take is about five or six of the best boys on the baseball team who are disgruntled with the baseball coach to show up at the first softball tryout. That would put more than half the starting girls on the bench and force the softball coach to cut some girls who couldn't possibly play baseball.

Free participation would virtually eliminate girls track and field, girls s****r, girls tennis and many other sports that are kept gender specific.

My daughter made the varsity s****r team as a sophmore and is now starting as a junior. But she, like the rest of the girls on the team, would have no chance of making the boys s****r team. The difference between the boys and girls teams is not about the talent. It is about the speed of the game.

I remember the Silver Bullets women's baseball team. They got great support. Their games on TV and great sponsorship. Their first game was against a minor league team and they got destroyed. They then started playing college teams but were still not competitive. They finally won a game against an over 35 mens team made up of overweight guys who were funny to watch but not very good.