Skip to main content

Reply to "Field Renovation Question"

Thanks for all the input. I am getting a screened mixture of sand/clay/silt that is (or should be) pretty "rock Free".

I plan on nail dragging and tillng the exisiting base, then spreading about 20 tons of the new mix. Then tilling and or nail dragging that. Then putting the Diamond Pro I have and spreading it on the field. Then nail dragging that in.

I think laying the Diamond Pro on top makes it look prettier (nice and deep red), but I agree, it washes away more. And I'd rather have good drainage than the good look.

The only part I'm going to have to skip is the laser grading. I've checked around and it is just too expensive for me to afford. I'm going to have to trust in repeated dragging to get it level.

I should be able to rent or borrow a roller to pack it down.

Thanks again for everyone's input...

Actually, I have another question: Where we need grass (1b cutout, 3b cutout and in front of the Mound and home plate), would you put sod down, or would you till, put down good soil and plant seed? I kind of want to try the seed and use this new "high traffic" seed and see if it stays intact any better. Any thoughts? Yes, we do have water availability to keep sod OR seed moist.

Thanks again,
Mike