Skip to main content

Reply to "Finally had his Tommy John Surgery"

OH BBmom - Son's injury to surgery time was likely the longest in recorded time...lol. He got to the point where he couldn't pitch anymore due to pain (thought it was tendonitis..silly us!!) back around the 15th of august. Went to the local Ortho Dr that Monday and he did an MRI and discovered the tear. Got a second opinion two days later at MGH and they confirmed the diagnosis. With son only being 15 Dr OH took a very conservative tact. Had son go for an MRI with the dye to get a really good picture of what he was dealing with and put him on a rehab program to strengthen his shoulder before surgery. The MRI showed damage to the cartilage in the elbow so he wanted to correct that first. Had that surgery in October. Had to let that surgery heal and FINALLY had his TJ surgery on December 23rd. So it took 4 months to finally have the surgery.

Being from New England our HS baseball season doesn't start till late March so he will have 15 months of rehab and recovery before he throws his first competitive pitch. Hopefully by then he will be healthy and going strong. Come summer time he will be 18 months out and should be able to participate in summer ball hopefully playing down in GA at the WWBA events.

Good luck to your son!! If it is a torn UCL I bet you'll have your surgery much quicker then my son did, by about 3 months or more! Don't be afraid to seek a 2nd opinion with a good quality surgeon, obviously Dr Andrews would be nice but isn't very practical being in OH. I'm sure the Reds or Indians surgeons are quite qualified. Son had the Orthopedic Dr from the Red Sox perform his surgery. He studied under Andrews and works on studies with him. For this area I don't think I could have got better short of flying to Atlanta to see Andrews himself.

Keep us posted!!