Skip to main content

Reply to "Finally had his Tommy John Surgery"

Well, we just got back from the doctor's and found out that he has a complete tear, also a bone bruise and damage to the tendons. I guess if you are going to injure something, you might as well do it right!

I want to publicly thank the doctors and staff at the Akron Children's Hospital Sports Medicine Clinic. They took a very difficult situation and made it bearable for us. They scheduled an appointment for us at the Cleveland Clinic with the Indians team physician for consultation and surgery. It is a comfort to know that your child is in good hands.

His coaches have texted him several times already telling him to keep his chin up and that there will be a spot waiting for him when he is recovered. I think that went a long way to ease his mind.

I did have one idea that I would like some opinions on: our consultation is scheduled for the 13th. I had the idea of meeting with his coaches whenever we take our son back to school so that we could explain what will be done regarding surgery and rehab; find out what he needs to do to keep up with schoolwork; and for my son to find out what part he can play in the upcoming baseball season. Does this sound like a reasonable request? My thought was that after a meeting like this, everyone would be on the same page.

Thank you again for all of the kind words and encouragement.