Skip to main content

Reply to "Financial aid"

Here’s an actual scenario I’d love to know how to handle. I saw a former teammate’s parent this weekend and having a 2024 they are ahead of us with recruiting. Mom mentioned that son received a 50% offer at a small d1 but the school is out of their price range still. She has a second child in college. Mom thinks they qualify for financial aid of 65% meaning if all grants the financial aid offer is better than the baseball offer. Being in season son hasn’t been able to clarify with the coach how the player can know if the school will fully fund with grants. When an offer is given, do coaches run numbers by financial aid to see what the player is likely to be offered in grant money? If the financial need package is better do they pull their offer? I can see a similar situation happening with my son.

In our experience, coaches are overly optimistic on aid (small schools Northeast) outside of athletic and and academic. For my older son they were spot on. When it's 25% athletic it's a little more straight forward (right now until they allow less than 25%).

For my younger son, we were initially told a percentage, but it turned out that percentage was based on athletic and what aid the coach thought we *might* get. Always ask for clarification on where the money is coming from.

For example full ride may not mean full ride. It may mean tuition. Also I think there is always leeway. You're should have a pretty good idea what you're going to pay, but it's never exact.