Skip to main content

Reply to "find a drafted player"

broor,
Thanks for the info. Our '73 Legion team had Gorman Heimueller (pitched for the A's), Lambert and myself as a pitching staff. I threw the middle innings between the two harder throwing lefties until we got to the playoffs. Steve Benson was also on our Legion team. We lost to Hawthorne in the playoffs. I remember Mike Scott was on Hawthorne's HS team and I think he played for the Legion team. They had another player named either Mike Coburn or Scott Coburn that we thought was more likely to make it to the bigs than Mike Scott. He threw about as hard as Mike Scott and was also a power hitting catcher.

I also got a chance to play for an Angels scout team when they mistook me for Lambert (same first name, same HS) and then stayed with the team because the coaches were looking to win (as opposed to looking for prospects) a little more than they probably should have.

A little addition here. I used the baseball cube to check and Mike Colbern was a 1976 second round pick out of Arizona State. It looks like he was selected a few picks ahead of Mike Scott who was picked out of Pepperdine in 1976. Colbern ended up playing a couple seasons at catcher with the White Sox.

Last edited {1}