Skip to main content

Reply to "Finding the right fit"

We are also in the middle of our college search. My son has said that he wants to go into Engineering but he really hasn't explored his options. Right now, his plan is to get an undergraduate degree in Physics and go onto grad school for a masters in Engineering.

We are going this route for a few reasons:

1. He wants to play baseball and the small liberal arts colleges are the ones that have approached him. (Of course, he didn't follow my advice and the advice of these message boards about what he had to do to for contacting and following up with college coaches which kind of limited things for him.)

2. I don't feel that he has really explored his options and a liberal arts college will give him some additional time to make sure that he wants to really pursue Engineering. Previous to college, school is basically Math, Science, English, and History. College opens up other areas of study.

3. I can't get him to look beyond the schools that have contacted him about playing baseball for them.

4. It's his decision, not mine. (The biggest reason of all.)

He wants an academically challenging school (he also has taken many AP courses) and I ask him the same question for each one: "Would you still want to go to school there if you could not play baseball?"

Good luck with the college search. I know that I will be glad when everything is settled.