Skip to main content

Reply to "Fingers off the seams???"

hshuler posted:

WarEagle - Pitchers experiment with different grips and ways to create movement all the time. 

I don't think there are drills that he can do to improve spin rate but he can work to create more movement. 

I am sending contact through PM now. 

Agree with Shu on this. Experiment. I know college camps are mostly about making money and recruiting but I will say as I have said before South Carolina does a nice job of giving quality instruction as well. And my son and I both agree that the breakout on grips at their pitching camp was 100% worth the cost of the camp. They went over a number of grips and the purpose behind them. But their strongest message was to experiment. That no two deliveries are exactly alike and different grips work for different guys. Don't get out in the cookie cutter. My son had the hardest time finding a change up grip. He took this advice to heart and messed with every stupid way of gripping the change he could think of. Finally he found one that has been nothing short of dominant for him. ~10mph difference and drops off the table to the point it almost resembles a splitter or true 12/6 curve. He has 4 different two seemers he throws. One of them with high speed camera we estimates to be around 1000rpm (insanely low). Easily gets the highest ground ball percentage on his team. It's not as sexy as 2900rpm and striking everybody out but he goes deep into games. 

My one question on dropping rpm - cause I agree easier to manipulate for low rpm than high - is will the scouts pay attention to this over the next few years. The technology is there and it is real. But baseball coaches have sometimes been slow to accept data. Favoring the 90mph guy with 2200 spin rate who will get rocked rather than the 85mph 1300 spin rate guy who will induce one ground ball after another. 

Some will say there is no snap of the wrist in a pitch. And if you think about it like holding your arm still and flicking your wrist I agree. But watch very carefully super slow motion and the wrist does aid in the pitch. I would  assume long fingers are an important factor for high rpm. But since there is little we can do about that stronger wrist and fingers are second best thing. The more that wrist can travel throughout the course of the pitch the more backspin. But your wrist and fingers will need a lot of strength to outrun the speed of your arm.  Tensile strength is another measurement that is becoming big. 

Sorry for the long post. Hope it is helpful!